Tuesday, October 20, 2009

vaccines

Boy oh boy is this a heated debate. My mind is spinning to try and decide what is right for our family. On one hand I value my children's health more than anything. I think some vaccines are very important and on the other hand I'm scared to death as far as what is right for them and what isn't. I really hate to think that the vaccine market is all about money. Our health is so important and its scary to think that our government could be so corrupt that they would be trying to line the pockets of these big pharmaceutical companies. The evidence in both ways is very compelling. There are sooo many more vaccines now than there has ever been. Is this because medicine has gotten better and stronger and they are more readily available to help keep us healthy? Or is it because they are trying to profit off of some thing that is very fragile in my mind. I don't know. I do know I have researched and researched and picked a lot of different people's brains as far as how they vaccinate their kids and if they don't why. The stuff in these vaccines are scary..Would our bodies be able to fight this stuff off alone??? I just don't know anymore. I do know that now that I have another little guy in the house I want him to be healthy..I did break down and have a flu vaccine yesterday..2 years ago I had the flu, and I was so sick I could hardly get out of bed. It lasted for around 2 weeks. I can not afford to risk putting him at risk. So tell me how do you feel about vaccines and the modern day medicine that we are using so frequently..there is so much conspiracy about everything anymore..I've heard there are people who believe we didn't land on the moon and that it was taped in the desert..So there are always going to be people who question everything and this makes our decisions that much harder..Wow..Its going to be a long life time of figuring this one out!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Okay, prepare yourself now...this is a heated debate for me, as well. Flu vaccines are crap! I don't buy 'em. God made our bodies to be able to fight sickness. When I was a young child, I didn't get a flu vaccine. Of course I probably got the flu, but it's no biggie. People get sick sometimes and our immune system fights it off.

On the other hand, mothers who don't vaccinate their children from measles, mumps, and rubella are CRAZY!!!!! Yes, that's right, I said crazy! They're so afraid that their child will become autistic, so they won't vaccinate. I do think there is something in the vaccine that causes autism, but only if the child has something inside their own body that triggers it. Remember that episode of Private Practice where the mom refused to vaccinate and then the kid died of the measles??!! I literally was screaming at the TV like the actress was a real person!!

Anyway, that's what I have to say about that! :)

kelsey said...

I'm not sure how I stand. My kids have all been given the basic vaccines. I didn't think much of it then, but do now. I have a friend who when they had their first baby had a very VERY strong impression not to vaccinate him. Yet. He's almost 2 with no vaccinations (and so smart!), but they do plan on doing it when he's a little older and around other kids more. I kind of like that idea. Wait until they are a little older. As for the flu. I'm not so big on it either. I have recieved the flu shot a few times in college while working in health care. And then my last one, right after Marryn was born, I broke out in hives and we all still got the flu (the last flu I've had). So we don't get flu shots. And it's hard. Like you, I'm just not sure what to believe. Pregnant women are at the top of the list. Well, I read a little more about it and almost every pregnant woman who died did not get medical help for their flu for like a week or longer. So now, being pregnant;) (SHHHHH!!! No word about it on Facebook or my blog, we haven't told our families yet!) I'm torn. Most of these women were normal, healthy women. But on the other hand, I feel they rushed this vaccine (I'm referring to the H1N1 one) out so fast, that it just makes me nervous. What effects could it have on my tiny little baby inside me??? (15 weeks btw, due beginning of April-big BIG surprise for us;)

And then Reganne started throwing up...I was on the phone with the doctor first thing. But with no other flu symptoms, I'm a little more relaxed. But still. So our plan for now. Get to the doctor ASAP. *Try* to stay away from others and crowds (a little harder now that Marryn is in school...) and just be smart.

My mother-in-law sent an interesting email about keeping the flu at bay. Gargle with warm salt water twice a day, give your nose a good hard blow and swab it with warm salt water twice a day and drink lots of warm liquids. This is suppose to kill of any bad germs and virus in those areas that they enter into your body. Who knows if it's true, but it's worth a shot. It's not hurting anything that's for sure!